Arnold is an advanced Monte Carlo ray tracing renderer built for the demands of feature-length animation and visual effects. Originally co-developed with Sony Pictures Imageworks and now their main renderer, Arnold is used at over 300 studios worldwide including ILM, Framestore, MPC, The Mill and Digic Pictures. Arnold was the primary renderer on dozens of films from Monster House and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to Pacific Rim and Gravity. It is available as a standalone renderer on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X, with plug-ins for Maya, 3ds Max, Houdini, Cinema 4D, Katana and Softimage.
Arnold for Katana (or KtoA) provides a bridge to the Arnold
renderer from within the standard Katana interface.
- Natural integration with Katana nodes, scenegraph, and scripting.
- Multi-threaded scene translation, made possible by Geolib3 in Katana 2.
- Bundled Arnold, shaders, and plugins for a smooth out-of-the-box experience.
- Support for the latest Arnold 4.2.x series.
- Improved interactivity for live rendering (IPR) allows look changes to be rapidly previewed.
- Ultra-fast OpenVDB volume rendering.
- Shader networks.
- Works with third-party shaders and renderer procedurals (for hair, etc).
- Render outputs and AOVs, including Deep EXR.
- Supports the curves location type in Katana for hair rendering.
- Many light types and light filters supported, as well as interactive modification of lights.
- Object parameters and global options better match what is available in Arnold.
- Improved documentation within Katana (args files).