Arnold is an advanced Monte Carlo ray tracing renderer built for the demands of feature-length animation and visual effects. Originally co-developed with Sony Pictures Imageworks and now their main renderer, Arnold is used at over 300 studios worldwide including ILM, Framestore, MPC, The Mill and Digic Pictures. Arnold was the primary renderer on dozens of films from Monster House and Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs to Pacific Rim and Gravity. It is available as a standalone renderer on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X, with plug-ins for Maya, 3ds Max, Houdini, Cinema 4D, Katana and Softimage.
Arnold for Houdini (or HtoA) provides a tight
bridge to the Arnold renderer from within the standard Houdini
interface, in a way that is familiar to both Houdini users and
Arnold users in Maya or Softimage. It also enables smooth lighting
workflows between Houdini and other DCC applications, since setups
can be exported and shared.
- All Arnold cameras (perspective, orthographic, spherical, fisheye) with depth of field and advanced shutter controls.
- All Arnold lights (point, distant, spot, quad, disk, cylinder, skydome, mesh) with light filters and accurate viewport representation.
- Custom Arnold shading network context with a comprehensive list of 106 shaders and utilities.
- Atmospheric and background effects.
- Volume rendering with support for OpenVDB and particles.
- Polymeshes, curves, points with support for displacement and bump mapping and subdivision.
- Procedurals, with sample Alembic and mandelbulb implementations.
- Accurate motion blur (transform, deform, velocity, acceleration), overridable per object.
- Geometry attributes translation as user data.
- Optional Arnold properties for objects and cameras.
- Render to AOVs, in single or separate files.
- Support all Houdini rendering contexts (render region, mplay, render viewer, render COP, batch), with support for AOVs and clickable buckets.
- Interactive rendering (IPR) allows parameter changes to be rapidly previewed without interrupting your work.
- Multi-camera renders.
- DeepEXR support.