PopChar helps you get the most out of your font
collection. With its crystal-clear interface, PopChar provides a
frustration-free way to access any font's special characters.
PopChar makes it easy to "type" unusual characters, HTML special characters and characters from Unicode fonts. It gives you quick access to all characters of all fonts, even those that cannot be generated from the keyboard.
PopChar X is a background application that displays a small "P" in the menu bar. Though small and unobtrusive, the "P" is always there when you need to insert a special character - no matter in which application you are currently working. Just click the "P", find the desired character, and click the character to insert it.
As an alternative, you can configure PopChar to display a small
icon in the right area of the menu bar. No matter which location
you prefer, just click the "P" to quickly access PopChar's
- Inserts special characters right into your document.
- Full Unicode support with different comfortable views and pop-up menu for quick navigation.
- Search for characters by name, by Unicode number or by simply pasting some text from your document into the search field.
- Find characters by drawing their shapes.
- Find similar characters.
- Font preview and sample text views
- Font information
- View and print beautiful font sheets
- Individually adjust the sizes of certain fonts.
- Custom favorites section provides quick access to frequently used characters.
- Magnifier tool provides an enlarged view to see selected characters in full detail.
- Work across font boundaries and see all available characters system-wide.
- "Reverse search" for fonts that contain a particular character.
- Recent characters view for instant access to your frequently used characters.
- Flexible user interface to satisfy the individual needs of different users.
- Displays the keyboard combinations for characters that have keyboard equivalents.
- Various insertion modes: Insert characters as plain or formatted text or HTML.
- Support for Apple Color Emoji font.
- Show pronunciations and descriptions of Chinese characters.
PopChar X 8.0:
- Custom Layouts: It is now possible to create custom groupings and arrangements for characters.
- New "Recent Characters" section is now always available at the top of the character table, right below the favorite characters.
- Predefined layout that arranges emojis by their meaning.
- It is now possible to link fonts with preferred layouts that work best for these fonts.
- Cleaned-up layouts: The legacy layouts ASCII and MacRoman as well as the Recent Characters layout have been removed, as they are no longer needed.
- PopChar now finds and displays ligatures that are available in fonts.
- The "Show x in the Unicode Context" context menu command is now also available for characters in the Favorites group, the new Recent group and in other layouts.
- New view "All Unicode Characters" shows all characters that are defined in the Unicode standard - with placeholders for those that do not have a representation in any installed font.
- PopChar's About window now shows the number of installed fonts and font families.
- New export format for favorite characters with support for font-specific favorites and ligatures.
- Extended list of "zero-width joiner" Emoji sequences, including person roles, male/female variants, and the rainbow flag.
- Updated list of Emoji characters with skin tones.
- PopChar now supports skin tone variants of "zero-width joiner" Emoji sequences.
- Support for Emoji Presentation Sequences for selecting the text or emoji form of characters that can have both presentations.
- Improved fine-tuning for 20 fonts, mostly for improving the display of combining characters.
- PopChar can now insert emojis with skin tones as formatted text and HTML codes.
- Support for Emoji key symbol sequences created with "combining enclosing keycap".
- When selecting "Show x in the Unicode Context", the selected character briefly blinks, so it's easier to find among the other characters.
- Improved handling of font-specific characters in the Private Use Areas.
- Improves the representation of combining characters in the "Character Description".
- Combining characters are now displayed in centered positions within table cells, without overlapping adjacent characters.
- The "Show x in the Unicode Context" context menu command now always shows the selected character in the standard "Unicode Blocks" layout.
- Combining characters no longer overlap with previous text in the context menu.
- Smoother fading animation when opening and closing the PopChar window.
- Improved alignment and space usage for Apple Color Emoji.
- More consistent arrangement of control items in the window header.
- Fixes a problem that resulted in unexpected matches when certain undefined Unicode numbers were entered in the search field.
- Fixes a problem that prevented removal of certain characters from the Favorites group.
- Works around a problem where the previously used layout was not restored when quitting and relaunching PopChar.
- Fixes a cosmetic issue with missing or duplicate separator lines in the context menu.
- Works around a rare crash when checking for a newer version.
- Fixes a cosmetic alignment issue with characters that need to be drawn in a slightly smaller size.
- Fixes a vertical alignment issues of certain fonts within the PopChar table.
- Works around an issue that caused unexpected font substitution when unavailable characters were redrawn in the PopChar window.
- Fixes an error in the handling of Unicode surrogate pairs.
- Fixes a problem where certain wide characters were not correctly drawn on the baseline.
- Correct capitalization of the language name in the font collection menu.
- Works around a bug in the character set implementation of macOS.
- Fixes a problem with a confusing version alert when there was a problem with the network connection.