Many users are still waiting to see a Windows version that comes
equipped with a feature that offers the possibility to password
protect files and folders. Until that happens, you can take for a
spin Folder Guard, a stand-alone application that
can do that quite easily.
Especially designed to secure directories with passwords, this utility is all about safety from the get-go. The installer creates a restore point, trying to help the user stay on the safe side and offers a possibility of restoring everything to the initial state in case the password is forgotten or another type of accident happens and the stored data is affected.
Configuring Folder Guard is a rather easy task. There's a
dedicated wizard to guide you through the whole process, allowing
you to set up not only the password for the respective folder, but
also one for protecting the application itself.
There's a second way to guard your files though. The program comes with a file explorer you will see right in the main window, so it's enough to browse to your folder and right click it for instant protection. In addition, you can change its attributes and make it read-only, provide full access or restrict access altogether.
In case there's an accident and you lose your password, don't worry. Folder Guard gives you the possibility to create an emergency recovery app that could be copied on a CD or on a USB flash drive so you'll be able to reset the password in no time.
All in all, the application seems to work without glitches and offers a decent set of features to accommodate the needs of every user. Also, thanks to its ease of use, Folder Guard remains one of the best alternatives for those who want to protect their data.
Here are some key features of "Folder Guard":
Folder Guard can hide your personal folders from other users:
- You can set up Folder Guard to hide your private folders (or make them appear empty). The folder would be hidden from virtually any program, including Windows Explorer, Office, MS-DOS programs, etc.
Folder Guard can password-protect and restrict access to file folders:
- You can password-protect any document folder to prevent access to your personal files without knowing the password. You can set up Folder Guard to allow only certain users to change the computer settings with Control Panel, while denying that to other users.
Folder Guard can control access to programs and files:
- You can prevent other users (even the administrators) from using the system tools that can mess up your Windows installation, while allow such use for yourself or someone who knows the Master password. You can also designate the backup programs as the trusted ones, allowing them to backup your protected files in the background without asking you for the password every time.
Folder Guard is suitable for a wide range of computer security tasks:
- You can stop other users of your computer from peeking into your personal files. You can protect the system files and folders from destruction by cyber-vandals. You can allow specific users to run a program while denying it to others. You can allow users to store their documents on removable drives, while preventing them from using unauthorized programs on those drives.
Folder Guard protects your files without encrypting them:
- There is no risk of losing your documents if you lose your encryption key: with Folder Guard all your files remain intact, without modification of any kind.